Sunday 20 May 2012

Perth City - Part 2

A few weeks before I entered Perth, at a time when I was soaring down a steep hill in the Margaret River region, I found a fellow cyclist walking his bike in the opposite direction. We stopped to exchange stories and discovered that we were both cycling around Australia. His name was Grant and he wore a particularly warm, friendly smile. After a chat he offered me a room in his house in a beautiful suburb of Perth, called Scarborough. His girlfriend Joy was living there and he was going to warn her that a grubby, smelly boy would turn up on the door-step sometime soon. He also gave me his mothers phone number to call on arrival.
So after my time staying at Kirsten's house, I made my way over to Scarborough to anxiously find the address. I called the phone number that Grant had given me and was invited to visit Grant's mum - also living in the area. She was a lovely lady and insisted that I eat a mountain of her delicious cooking. It was an amazing meal and I was absolutely stuffed full of food. I was then introduced to Joy, and a friend of hers Tim. Joy had an exceptionally bubbly personality, and was instantly welcoming and friendly. Tim was working in the mines (in the Pilbara) and was spending his week off keeping Joy company. He works four weeks on, and one week off. A physically and mentally challenging task. But the stand-out personality trait of Tim was his relaxed nature. Nothing seemed to fuss this enormous kiwi.
The three of us spent the next few days relaxing and took the ANZAC public holiday as an opportunity to visit King's Park and swim in the beautiful beaches. King's Park offered stunning views of the city and was alive with people paying their respects to the Anzac's. The sun was out and I thoroughly enjoyed walking and laughing with Joy and Tim. We even went to a sea-side bar, to order the most expensive pints of beer I had ever paid for (well... Tim paid for), at $12 each.
During my time searching for the correct house a few days prior, I had met a lively French fellow named Harvey. He invited me to join him and his friends to go out on the town that night which I was unable to do as I was meeting Joy that night. However, we exchanged phone numbers and he later called to invite me to a meeting that he was hosting in regards to achieving personal goals. The address was close by, and so I attended, meeting many French people from many walks of life. I cannot pretend that I was not a little nervous walking into a strange building full of people I did not know to express my personal feelings. However, Harvey was as friendly as ever, and I enjoyed leaning about other people and sharing my stories with the group. It was a great evening.
On my last night in Scarborough, which also happened to be Tim's last night in Perth, we headed out for dinner and drinks. I had not partied since Albany, and really loved the opportunity to be a little silly and relax in a busy bar.
It had been a great night out, and I awoke the next morning feeling a little dusty, to prepare for my final stay in Perth.
I would like to take the time here to thank Grant for the opportunity to stay free-of-charge in an amazing house-hold within Perth. Further more, I would like to thank Tim for taking me out drining and also for buying me a pie during my time of need. Last but not least I would like to thank Joy for being so welcoming and a 'joy' (sorry) to be around. I hope that in the future we remain friends and stay in contact. I best not forget to thank Grant's dog Pearl for farting next to me before walking away repetitively.      

No comments:

Post a Comment