Wednesday 2 May 2012

The Albany Rest

And rest I did. 

Albany town was swarming with people for the Easter break. I found myself overwhelmed by masses of holiday makers and locals alike. The restaurants were full, the streets crawled with pedestrians, the roads were thick with noisy angry motorists, and there I stood with my broken bike - bewildered by the sudden life of a town filled to capacity.
I walked to the bike shop to book a re-build for my back wheel. Unfortunately due to the public holidays and the high demand at the shop, it was going to take about five days. But the sky was blue and the town was beautiful so I was happy to put my feet up and take a break from the road. 
The caravan parks were all full, but after a theatrical display of desperation in the office at my last possible chance, I was able to persuade the lady to allow me a small patch of grass next to the emu enclosure - and yes, the emu's kept me awake with the loud, booming drum that seemed to come from deep within their chests.
After I was all set up and organised it was time to hit the town - after all, it was a Friday night and I was parched. I walked the streets for a while, camera in hand to take a few pictures from the jetty. The city lights looked magic from the water. 
But soon I was once again in the pub meeting a group of young folk from Perth. We played a few games of pool, had a few beers and had a memorable night out. We even went into the local 'club', rated the worst club in Australia. I felt very out of place wearing my riding shorts and cleats surrounded by guys in jeans and shirts and girls in fancy dresses. None-the-less I was a force on the dance floor. After all - I had several years of modern dance moves to teach those backward Western Australian's in a very short time. Yes, I played quite the fool. But in the company of my new friends and the comfort of doing normal 24 year-old activities again, I regretted nothing. I walked back to my tent that night satisfied that I had once again been lucky to have met lovey people and enjoy a wild night out. 
          
          -   Due to a heavy load of insect activity on my computer screen obstructing my view as        I sit to write this out in the bush at night, I will continue 'The Albany Rest' when I next have the opportunity.    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment