Saturday 5 May 2012

The Albany Rest - Part 2

Agh, here we are again, this time typing from within a small tin shed in the bush - free of insects... well almost...
Now where was I? Oh yes my rest stop in Albany!

 I spent the next day walking around the surrounding bush land, where trails were marked to scenic lookouts from various hills. The sun was out and the views were stunning. I found King Skink's to play with and people to talk to.
My accommodation at the caravan park had been outrageously over-priced, at nearly $40 per night for an un-powered stretch of grass (I only had a tiny tent and a bike!). The prices were inflated for the Easter break. For this reason I decided to stay at the back-packers in Albany which was cheaper and had an actual bed to sleep on... A BED to sleep on... A BED TO SLEEP ON! A real luxury from the confines of my tent and the lumpy quality of my deflated mattress. That night I met many people from many countries. I may have enjoyed the conversations more if they were not all about the apparent lack of money within the back-packing community. Their complaints went on and on and I wondered if they had considered the cost of travel or maybe getting a job?? Some of these characters seemed a little desperate and this made me feel a little uneasy with my expensive possessions on show (computer, camera, GPS etc.). However I had a top bunk in a second story room with beautiful views over the ocean. I was sharing the room with an English computer freak know-it-all, a deadly quiet American, a British gangster and a quirky lively Korean. Everybody got on well and we were all reduced to fits of laughter whilst watching the Korean 'Rey' working-out listening to the Spice Girls. He was just too funny. He had lathered copious quantities of deep-heat onto his skin, and the smell lingered in the air until morning.
That night as I lay staring at the unfamiliar roof, breathing air heavy with deep-heat, listening to the sounds of other people sleeping, I couldn't help but feel a little home-sick for the safety of my tent. Somehow I was missing the earthy smells of the grubby canvas, the quiet of a sleeping forest, the lumps and bumps of my well worn mattress and the confines from which I had wished to escape. Was I becoming a hermit?
So the next night with my bike still at the shop I hurried back to the caravan park to sleep in the 'comfort' of my tent once more. I met Ray and Deb, a couple who worked at the park, whom insisted that I eat dinner with them. Ray and I connected very fast and we both enjoyed a few beers and long hours in conversation. I dedicated the remainder of my time in Albany to resting, cleaning my gear and relaxing with Ray and Deb. Ray cooked me an extraordinary breakfast the morning of my departure, and had me promise to keep in touch. I would like to take this chance to thank Ray for all his generosity, honesty, company and cooking. He was an inspiring character.
It was time once again to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment