Saturday 19 May 2012

Perth City - Part 1

It was only a short, leisurely ride along a great cycling track into the heart of Perth. 
The ride in offered beautiful views of the city over the Swan River, and I instantly liked the city on arrival (unlike Adelaide). I spent some time sitting with my bike and a meal in the heart of a busy street, just to soak up the lively atmosphere. 
I then headed back over the river to meet my friend from home, Kirsten, who is now living in Perth to dedicate her life to destroying this country (as a geologist in the mines).
I had not talked to her in five or so years and it was fantastic to catch up again. She offered me a mattress to sleep on and I was lucky enough to spend three nights with her and Johnno, her house mate. 
We visited the local pub that night for a proper chat, and she even took the next day off work to show me around. It felt amazing to relax and completely forget about the bike left purposely in the backyard.
We did some sight-seeing, took the dog on walks, and even joined in her house mates birthday celebrations with a few beers. A great way to unwind.
On the third night Kirsten had to fly out of Perth, and I was a little sad to say goodbye. She had changed a lot since school, and I had enjoyed the company. I did sneak into her room when she had left to play a few songs on her expensive piano. Ace.
I would like to take this chance to thank Kirsten for her hospitality and friendship throughout my time in Perth. It was much appreciated.  
But now it was time to keep moving, and so I was headed to the coastal suburb of Scarborough to stay with somebody I had never met. I was feeling a little nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment