Saturday 1 December 2012

Sydney - Take One

A holiday from a holiday, sounds too good to be true! I had received a call from my Dad when I was arriving in Chillagoe - "You had better be in Cairns by the 16th of October to catch a flight into Sydney". It was a statement not a question, but obviously I would not protest! My relatives from Germany were arriving in Sydney for a short three days and the rest of my relatives (living in Aus) were flying in to meet them. It would have been a disappointment to miss a rare family reunion and my amazing father had made sure that I would be included. What is more, he didn't tell anybody that I would be joining them, so I was somewhat of a surprise - particularly for my immediate family.

So very early on a warm starry morning I stowed my bike in the shed of a friendly caravan park and with a backpack on my back, made my way on foot towards the airport. I walked through the darkness for hours, but I had allowed plenty of time to arrive and catch my flight without rushing. Every process ran like clock-work, and I was soon walking through the busy streets of Sydney. I was relieved to find that the weather was warm and sunny, and it was strange to feel the dry air on my skin after so long.
According to dad's updates, my relatives were dining at a Bavarian restaurant. So showered but perhaps a little scruffy, I made my way through the hustle and bustle. I was very excited to surprise everybody, and had played the potential scene in my mind time and time again.
When I walked in my sister Michaela was the first to see me. She let out a loud scream which was soon echoed by my other sister Stacey. I was showered with cuddles and kisses and it was just fantastic to see my stunned mother, and shake hands with the man who made it all happen. My Oma and Opa were very shocked to see me, and I was the happiest boy in the world to see them. My aunt and uncle were there also and I was thrilled to see them, having kept in close contact throughout the trip thus far.

When my German relatives arrived the party was complete, and we spent the next few days eating delicious food, walking the streets of Sydney and enjoying the buzzing atmosphere created by all the wonderful people.
The last day was spent with my immediate family, and it meant the world to me mucking around with everybody walking, talking eating and laughing. I even had the chance to nick off with dad to the pub for a few quiet beers. It was going to be hard to say goodbye to everybody once more to continue my cycling trip. But, all good things must come to an end, and before I knew it I was cuddling mum goodbye and flying back north to tackle the east coast.
I would like to take the time here to say an incredibly big thank you to my Dad - the altruistic man who inspires with generosity and cheerfulness. Dad, you're a great man, thanks for everything.

The east coast was going to be busy and expensive, and my plan was to push those peddles harder then ever in an effort to arrive in one piece with a dollar still in my pocket. Cyclist - start your engine!


                                                                             The full family shot


                                                               Enjoying a beer with my beautiful sisters


                                                                                  What a view!


                                                                             Family shot

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom,
    What a lovely family... Well worth the time out!

    ReplyDelete