Tuesday 13 November 2012

Cape Tribulation - Cairns

As I rode out of Cape Trib, I was finally faced with the rain I had been expecting. It came driving down in thick sheets and I had to cover my mouth and nose (as explained earlier) in an attempt to breath. However, the rain was relatively short lived and I emerged soon on the other side of the gloomy clouds. The hills persisted for a short while (just for the morning) finally giving way to beautiful agricultural land. The landscape was incredibly green and cane sugar was growing rampant. Green paddocks with grazing cattle were dotted here and there and it was great to see white herons following the cows around like close buddies.
When I arrived in Port Douglas I checked into the local caravan park/backpackers 'Dougies'. Dougies had been recommended to me on many occasions.
When I arrived on a Friday afternoon I set up my tent where I was told to... right in the middle of the main path. Apparently they were full and so stuck me in any spot that I would fit. I didn't feel overly comfortable with the situation. This was the first time (in what felt like a very long time) that I was surrounded by masses of people again. I was so used to setting up camp beside a river with only a croc or two for company. Suddenly I was in party central being fussed over by flocks of bored backpackers. After all, that night was 'dress as something beginning with 's' night', and I didn't have an outfit! But as they fussed about my attire for the evening, all I could think about was the safety of my tent and belongings.
So I joined in the fun and games for a few hours (and a cask of goon) and when nobody was looking I crept back into my tent without a word.
That night I took ALL of my belongings with me into my tent which was quite a squeeze (bike wheels, cooking gear, clothes, camera etc.) and endured drunk people shaking my tent begging me to come back and party. I was the 'Aussie bearded cyclist guy'. I just wanted to leave.
The music and festivities continued into the early hours of the morning leaving me feeling spritely for a long day ahead (not!!!)
The next day was a stunning ride along the coast into the beautiful city of Cairns.
So there I was - after more then a thousand km's of super rural dirt roads - standing in a city with my bike. There were bike shops, fast food, supermarkets, people and water galore.
The next three days were spent looking around, cleaning up, buying a new jumper and shirt and organizing my bike storage for my upcoming flight. Fight? Flight you ask? Well you had better read the next blog to find out more...


                                                                            Barking Gecko


                                                                           Mangrove Boardwalk


                                                                                   Fiddler Crab


                                                                                Cairns at night

1 comment:

  1. Now I've heard it all... Sleeping with your bike and trailer in a cozy little tent!

    Reasons for flight:
    - You’ve been summoned for Jury Service
    - You’ve been invited to a wedding
    - You’ve got that overdue driving test appiontment
    - Your Mum has just had another baby.
    - You forgot you had a dentist appointment
    - You have an interview with National Geographic.
    - :-)

    ReplyDelete