Tuesday 25 December 2012

Farewell To QLD

After the intensive ride to Brisbane, I was as ready as ever to get off the bike, and on the beer. I had contacted Kel, my friend that I met in Arno Bay, Port Kenny and Esperance. Kel was minding a beautiful luxury house for his brother in Redcliffe, just north of Brisbane. Kel invited me to come and stay at this house for a night or two. It was a strange feeling to see Kel on the other side of Australia and we were both very happy to see each other. The weather was superb so we made the most of it by swinging past the pub for a few beers in the sun.
The house we stayed at was beautiful and well stocked with delicious food and drink. We explored the pantries like excited little boys finding sweets, seafood and expensive steaks to relieve our (my) insatiable hunger. There was also a fully stocked bar to be utilized. 
The next day I unloaded my bike and Kel brought out his racer for a ride. Kel knew the cycle paths very well and I thoroughly enjoyed following him around the coastal cycle routes under the blazing sun. We rode for some time and I had the feeling that Kel was testing my fitness from time to time. 
We spent the second night sitting up chatting into the late hours of the night. Unfortunately I didn't make it to bed until 2am, which made it rather difficult to rise for my early 4am start to attempt the ride through Brisbane city. But none-the-less I found myself riding bleary-eyed through the dark, early hours of the morning to beat the building traffic. 
Riding through Brisbane was slow and laborious, taking far longer then expected to cross. I enjoyed the beautiful view crossing the Story Bridge chased by angry motorists rushing to start their work days. 
From here it was a very long, sleepy ride all the way (more then 150km's) to the Gold Coast. The ride encompassed a difficult climb up Tambourine Mountain, offering stunning views over the Gold Coast from the top. 
When I finally arrived on the Gold Coast just after dark, my eyes were red, my legs were sore and my body odor was radiating after long hours of climbing. Thankfully I was to live in luxury for another night! Kate, a close family friend living in a high-rise building had invited me to stay, and had dinner waiting upon my arrival. So after a cold shower and a tasty Thai meal, I relished the opportunity to relax with Kate for a chat and a drink, before well and truly hitting the hay.
This was my last full day riding in Queensland, and I was excited to be entering the next leg of my journey. What did New South Whales have in store for me?


                                                                                  Turtle Head


                                                                               Green Tree Frog


                                                                           A wet weather camp


                                                                            Mother of all monsters: Echidna


                                                                                  Dirt Track Riding

No comments:

Post a Comment