Monday 10 September 2012

Wyndham (Parry Lagoons)

After leaving the Bungle Bungles, I was up early for a big day. I was going to ride north for the day, and this meant that the wind was being funnelled through the hilly ranges either side of the road helping push me along. The wind was actually helping me!!!
I pushed the peddles for over 10 hours covering more then 220km's for the day. It was hectic but well worth the effort. The scenery was among the best for the entire trip. Hills and mountains stood towering over the road on either side, each a little different from the last. Some were green, some were bare, some were tall, some were small, some were soil, others were exposed rock. I had completely forgotten about the aches and pains of riding and my mental state was soaring.
I finally arrived at a rest stop in the light of a full moon to meet a group of young NSW boys having a good time. We had a chat (and a beer) and I could see it had been a long day for them. They were looking a little hagged. So I set my tent up as far away from them as possible without looking too rude. It soon proved a worthy idea after the huge bon-fire they had raging spilled over the perimeter rocks and sent the surrounding dry grass ablaze. They danced around the embers comically trying to douse the flames - but too late... two of their tents copped a severe melting. Suckers.

The next day was a hilly climb into Wyndham. I had a cold drink and relaxed to look around town on foot. It was a nice quite town dominated by aboriginal people, but I didn't feel the need to spend much time there. So I made the decision to check out the 5 rivers lookout that I had heard so much about. What I hadn't heard was that the incline to the lookout was ridiculous. Bloody caravaner's telling me fibs again!!! So in 35 degree weather I crawled up the road leaving a trail of sweat behind me. It was by far the steepest hill that I had climbed... ever. Perhaps I shouldn't have ignored the sign about leaving caravan's at the bottom. My trailer became an anchor.
When I finally reached the top I found that the view was worth the effort. 5 major rivers could be seen here pouring into the waters of the estuary. I also met my friends Ron and Suzanne at the top which was perfect because they were heading into Parry Lagoons also, which was my destination. Ron and Suzanne were two of the most vibrant, hilarious characters I had ever met. So I flew down the hill and then loaded my bike onto the roof of their 4WD to take me across the rough dirt road.
As we pulled into the lagoon just before sun-set I was blown away by the abundant bird life and beauty of the lively eco-system. Parry Lagoons was a beautiful spot and I highly recommend it to any travellers heading to the Kimberly. A hidden treasure.


                                                                           Whistling Ducks



                                                                            On top of the world!!!


                                                                           Jacana


                                                                              Great Egret


                                                                               Darter


                                                                          Ron & Suzanne
         

2 comments:

  1. Okay...That's it! The FOR SALE sign is already hanging in front of my house. Should catch you up around Cairns... We can do the Eastcoast together - I wish! Just remembered, I've got two kids to put through Uni. Bugger! Perhaps, later on, I could go for the 'oldest guy to cycle around Australia' record.

    Looking forward to your next entry! cheers Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Jeez I wish you could make it Dean! There is still so much to see! Alas, soon I'll also be working long hours, reminiscing of days on my bike! Time moves too fast! I'm glad you're enjoying the read. Cheers

    ReplyDelete