Tuesday 11 September 2012

Kunu-Bloody-Nurra!

I had been looking forward to Kununarra for quite some time. A friend of mine from home - Mark - was working in the diamond mine and had offered me a comfy couch to sleep on.
Unfortunately Mark was not in town during the first night of my stay so I headed to the caravan-park to set up camp. The caravan park was swarming with French and German back-packers who were staying in town to pick the abundant fruit for some pocket money. I talked to some of these characters but once again... the French were a little difficult to socialize with.
Travis, a young traveller I had met on several occasions then came to pick me up in his bus. Basically Travis is travelling around Australia (has been for the last 3odd years!) in an old bus loaded with all the adventure/hobby toys needed to have a great time. Including: rock-climbing gear, a motorbike, a kayak, animal identification books etc. Sounds pretty cool to me. We drove out to a different caravan park where Leigh and Steph (from Kalbarri and Bungle Bungles) were camped. We all had a quiet night chatting over a few cold drinks and generally enjoying the company.
The next morning I was up early ready for a big day.
Steph and Leigh picked me up from my camp and we drove out to a National Park close by called Mirima. This was the site chosen by Leigh to 'bolt' several different routes into the rock for climbing (naughty naughty). As far as passionate people go, I don't think I've ever met anyone as passionate about anything ever before...ever... as Leigh is about rock-climbing.
The track into the climb was not a track at all and I was lead into some beautiful country with old aboriginal markings and winding creeks. The rocks of Mirima resemble those of the Bungle Bungles and everything seemed to glow red in the early morning light. The climb itself looked easy in the hands of Leigh as he raced vertically up the rock. It was a big achievement for Leigh to reach the top without a single mistake, and he was thrilled upon success. Steph also made the climb seem easy advancing steadily up the wall. I however, found it very difficult to negotiate the tiny grips and my 'strong' biking legs suddenly felt clumsy and weak. It was a shambles. But I thoroughly enjoyed myself none-the-less and am very thankful for the opportunity to climb in such stunning scenery.
Next on the agenda was water skiing.
Mark had arrived back in town and due to the warm still evening air he decided to take his boat for a sun-set spin.
We took the wake-board out and the four of us (Mark, his friend, Leigh and myself) took turns until the light ran out completely. Again I felt clumsy on the board and it felt like trying to stay upright standing on a bar of soap. For a stupid, fleeting second I thought I had snapped my spine in two when I crashed hard on the water surface. "There goes my bike trip!" I thought shortly before the pain subsided. It was an unforgettable evening spent on the water and I thank Mark for his generosity and patience.
Later it was time to go to the pub, and I had a fantastic time with everybody chatting and laughing. We stayed until stumps, and I was relieved to crash at Marks house free of my tent. It had been a big day out, and my body was already starting to ache from using dormant muscles.
In the morning Mark cooked a delicious feast of bacon and eggs, and once more I was back in the saddle.    


                                                                                 Leigh the spider


                                                                               Steph the Gecko


                                                                                All hooves



                                                                            Safe boating practice!




1 comment: