Sunday 2 September 2012

Derby - Fitzroy Crossing

After a very late start in Derby on the morning of the 20th of July, I set off into headwinds for 103km's  -  I feel compelled to stop here to clear something up. I am worried that this blog may leave readers with a sour aftertaste after all my complaining of head winds, so I will address the issue here. My departure from Broome was officially the beginning of head-wind territory as I head east across the country. Indeed, every single day since Broome I have encountered head winds of varying strength as I sit to write this from the community of Borroloola. Some days I feel happy to bare this burden with pride and strength. Some days I curse the very sky above me and shake my fists at the heavens above. Alas, I chose this route and will suffer the consequences in silence henceforth (at least until the East coast!). Now may the story proceed.

That day of 103km's was of little interest until about one hour before sun-set. I was riding along innocently minding my own business when suddenly two cars pulled up in front of me and deliberately blocked my way. Aboriginal men piled out of the car wearing big smiles and welcoming faces. I could see that they were quite drunk but they seemed harmless enough and so I stopped to talk. They insisted on giving me a lift into Fitzroy Crossing and could not possibly understand why I would prefer to ride. I explained again and again using my hands and legs to illustrate my point. It was quite a hectic conversation as it all seemed to be happening so fast. They were tugging at my bike trying to take it apart to fit it in the truck. I desperately urged them not to do this and eventually they stopped and we all just stood around laughing. Next it was time to drink beer. They would not take no for an answer and truth be told I was happy to take a break with a refreshing 'Emu Export'. We sat in the grass near the road and had a few too many drinks into the sun-set. We exchanged phone numbers and I was invited to stay with them in Halls Creek. When they finally drove away it was almost dark so I was forced to find a make-shift camp spot. So I roamed deep into the bush and found a giant hollowed-out boab tree big enough for me to stretch out in. This was my accommodation for the night, and it was magic!!! Sadly the entire stretch between Derby and Fitzroy Crossing was spent with a dead camera battery so I missed out on a priceless shot. Bummer. I will post some relevant photo's anyhow.
The next day into Fitzroy Crossing was 160km's of physical strain. Although I was very well prepared mentally and felt happy for the most part. I arrived in the dark, but luckily found a great caravan park with a restaurant and bar with live music. I sat back with a pizza and a beer after a hard day and felt my thighs ache the night away. 
The next day was a rest day, so I took the opportunity to look around town (not much to see), and took a trip out to see the beautiful Geikie Gorge. I charged my external batteries, my internal batteries and even treated myself to watch a movie in 'the tin-can' (just a tin shed with chairs, rats and a projector). 



                                                              Blue-faced Honey Eater


                                          Bush tucker. Boab fruit. Not. Very. Nice...



        

No comments:

Post a Comment