Wednesday 20 June 2012

Exmouth

I stayed in Exmouth for almost one month. Easily obtaining the prestigious position of stock-man at the local service station allowed me to save some much needed funds while exploring a natural wonderland in peak season. The abundant bird life filled the skies and land with busy, noisy life. Beautiful flowers were in bloom, the Ningaloo Reef was being graced by whale-sharks, hump-back whales and manta-rays. Black-Footed Rock wallaby's foraged silently from high rocky ledges within hidden ruby-red gorges. Giant Goanna's, snakes and the mighty Red Kangaroo lay quietly unseen within the grassy scrub as passers drove by without noticing. The land and sea were brimming with life, and I found myself in amongst it all. 
However, in appreciation of the beauty of life, there also came some hurdles for me to deal with. First of all I had no home. My address became the post-office, my kitchen became the bakery, my shelter became a fast-falling tent and the location of my shelter was to swing between caravan parks, Cape Range National Park and the occasional night hidden in the scrub. It was an expensive and unsettled situation and I quickly became tired of  the commotion. 
Work was crap. I hated working out the back where I could not talk to anybody or show growth or initiative. I felt like I was 14 years old again working at KFC following procedures set by dead-end managers for drop-out, burger-flipping kids. I knew that working there was beneficial and that I should be thankful for the opportunity, but I couldn't help but feel that I was taking a step in the wrong direction. Slowly this feeling grew to bring my mood down. So after I had gained sufficient finance and my patience had grown thin enough, I took great pleasure in saying goodbye and stocking my last shelf. I was free once more.
However, during my stay I met many fantastic people and had some great experiences. I will detail a few of the memorable experiences over the next few blogs.






                                                       Mangrove Lungs or Pneumatophores


                                                       Vlamingh Head Lighthouse


                                                              A Shy Sand-Crab

No comments:

Post a Comment