Monday 11 June 2012

Carnarvon






After a handy departure time of 6.30am on the 18/5 from the Hamelin Pool Caravan Park (feeling a bit guilty about both the price $15, and another short day) I traded my key deposit for three chocolate bars (healthy breakfast) in the office. My bottom was particularly sore, and by the time I arrived at the Overlander Roadhouse in the heat of the mid-day sun, my shorts were once again full of blood.
I parked my bike in the shade and ordered a roast-roll with gravy, chips and a cold drink. I needed the fuel if I was to reach my destination within this outback oven. As I sat to eat passing people stopped to ask why anybody would bother to ride in such heat. In fact I drew quite an audience of people burning with questions and I found myself answering to the group rather than individually. I felt a little embarrassed.
After my time in the spot-light I was ready to hop back on the saddle to push into the horizon. I was headed to the Wooramel Roadhouse where I had been told to ask about work at a nearby station. However the work had already been snapped up so I wandered back to the roadhouse to check into the caravan park.
However, after paying a hefty fee of $20, I discovered a caravan park that offered no fresh water (so I had to pay an extra $30 to fill my bottles), no power anywhere in the park despite a noisy generator that grumbled late into the night, no phone reception or even a pay phone, one shower and toilet (same room) for ALL guests to share, grumpy staff working in the shop, and finally a restaurant that closed hours early for no obvious reason - resulting in a dinnerless night for my stomach after having peddled 122km's in the heat. After bending many pegs trying to erect my tent, I re-packed to bang on the shop door to ask in a semi-polite manner to have my money back. A bush on the side of the road seemed to glow with five-star appeal after leaving the Wooramel hole.
From Wooramel it was 125km's into the town of Carnarvon. The ride was mentally challenging in the open country, but I arrived in good time. After a call to my parents I was off to Coral Coastal Park to check in. I found it a little pricey, but the amenities were the best I had yet found, and the people were very friendly. I spent a few hours in Owen and Bev's caravan (a lovely couple who spoilt me rotten) before heading to the pub to watch the Tigers Vs Bombers game. The pub was alive and I enjoyed the atmosphere whilst talking to some locals, Ryan and Tom. They were about my age, and we had a good time talking before I retired early for some much needed slumber.
The next day was an obligated rest day whilst I waited for the sport shop to open (being sunday). The bearings within my trailer wheel were nearing their end, and I needed to replace them before attempting the long road ahead. So I spent the day walking down the one mile jetty ($4) to see the mangroves and incredible fish life, and lounging around the caravan park talking to fellow travellers.
After dropping the bike into the bike shop to receive the usual story that it would take two days to repair, I was beginning to feel a little stale, and anxious to move on.
I was however treated to an off-road ride in an enormous 4X4 truck that had taken two German adventurers around the world. It was a thrill, and they even bought me a delicious lunch at the pub to top off my day. I can neither pronounce nor spell their names, so shall not try.
But once again I could hear the road calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment