Sunday 28 October 2012

The Six Day Slog (days 4-6)

Day 4: Mitchell River - Lynd River, 133.33km's
Long day in the saddle. Rode from sun-up to sun-down.
Felt a little groggy in the morning. Slowed me down.
The road had some very rough stretches but improved in general, this section of road is seldom used.
I see some tall trees. Awesome.
The camp is nice, right on the river, which is flowing to my relief. I drink and drink and drink.
Lights out.
Day 5: Lynd River - Nowhere, 119km's
Start the day with a guilty sleep in - around 7.30.
Had a troubled day on the bike. Mentally draining, possibly due to lack of nutritious food.
After 57km's I stop to drink from the Walsh River, where I find a beautiful big sand monitor (Goanna).
Tough day for me, but the thought of food and drink tomorrow is keeping me strong.
Crappy camp spot on the side of the road. There was barely a car all day so I'm sure I won't have a problem tonight.
Lights out.
Day 6: Nowhere - Chillagoe, 69km's
Early rise.
Again, tough day. Road condition terrible due to heavy truck use hauling earth to Chillagoe.
The trucks came thick and fast and I was showered in heavy sheets of bull dust. I am feeling very very dirty.
Amazing feeling arriving in town, and I find a seat to have a cold drink and a chocolate bar.
It happens to be Grand Final day in the AFL so I visit the pub to watch the Swans beat the Hawks. I don't really care either way. Good excuse to have a cold beer.
Finally it's time to sleep and prepare for a rest day tomorrow.
What an adventure it's been.

Well there you have it, a basic outline of the toughest stretch of my journey.
I felt very pleased with how everything panned out, and also a little proud of myself after having dealt with some hairy moments.
It had been a real adventure to remember.





No comments:

Post a Comment