Sunday 28 October 2012

The Six Day Slog (days 1-3)

Having waved goodbye to my new friends at Inverleigh Station, it was time to get serious. So I packed my belongings and rode into the sun rise one fine, balmy morning. After 65km's I came into the township of Normanton - the first town I had seen in quite some time. I visited the post office where I picked up a brand new ipod sent specially to me from Dave (since mine had died in Darwin). What a guy, and a big thanks to you Dave once again. The only other point of interest in Normanton was a delightful aboriginal man who dared ask me for money whilst seated on the public toilet with the door wide open. The drone of his voice and the stench of his business left me running to the hills.
From Normanton I rode into the township of Karumba. Karumba is a beautiful little fishing town with stunning views over the Gulf of Carpentaria. Here I was able to fix my bike in full, eat fish and chips, and spend a day here in preparation for the coming challenge. I'm sure my legs were thankful.
And so it came to pass that on the 24th of September I gritted my teeth once more to embark on a ride covering 600km's of dirt road with absolutely nothing in between (nothing man-made). My bags were bulging with 'survival food' and my bike seemed to sag under the weight of my excess water. I would be able to fill my bottles and bladders from rivers along the way, but temperatures were soaring so I decided to play it safe - and I was soon to be tested by the pressures of keeping hydrated.
Day 1: Karumba - Gilbert River, 114km's
Awake well before sun rise.
Smashed down a pot of Weet-bix (I don't have a bowl).
Within 5 measly minutes a spoke snapped with a "twang".
25 more minutes and it was replaced and the wheel was trued.
Road bumpy. Road sandy. Muscles ache. Scenery stunning. Kangaroos and wallabies lying in the shade of shrubs and trees. Hot hot hot hot hot hot hot.
Arrived at Gilbert River about one hour before sun-set. Crocodiles crocodiles crocodiles, I had never seen so many crocs in a single river!!!
Great camp spot and I was able to fix a broken chair to a tree with some rope. Win.
Relaxing sun-set, lights out.
Day 2: Gilbert River - Staaten River, 86km's
Tough day.
Deep, long sand patches force me off the bike to start pushing.
Bike trailer brakes once more. Need to weld it. Make-shift fix holding up.
I saw 4 cars today.
I take water from some murky water and pray that my hand does not get bitten off. I breath a sigh of relief after some heart stopping swirls and bubbles. I count my fingers: ...7,8,9 and yes, all accounted for.
Still 40 degrees at 4:45pm according to a tourist with a gauge in car.
The river I am counting on for drinking water is... dry. Hell. I drink brown water from a cow trough. Not very pleasant. Living the dream.
I arrive at the Staaten River to find stagnating pools of water. Perfect. I add some purifying tablets and slurp it down. Water water water water: the word ringing in my ears. It's all I can think about.
I cook tuna with rice, chase a family of wild pigs away and set up camp.
Dreams haunted by elusive water.
Day 3: Staaten River - Mitchell River, 80km's
Awake before sun-up.
Porridge for breakfast. Yuck.
Around 8:30am an amazing truck driver pulls over to throw a cold coke out of his window. A little early but who's complaining.
The road ahead shimmers with a blinding mirage.
My internals are cooking and my water is nearly boiling.
The road is torturous today.
Nearly at the camp site.
                      Skip ahead 30 minutes in time:
I'm sitting, fully clothed in the shallow, crystal clear waters of the Mitchell River drinking beers. There are four truck drivers sitting around in the water and we laugh and chat next to a few full eski's of quenching ale.
We cook stake on a fire and have them in sandwiches. I pack some for breakfast and lunch tomorrow.
The night becomes a little blurry but I am about as relaxed as I have ever been. Paradise in the outback. Score.



                                                                  R.I.P my humble riding shoes


                                                                  I made a new friend!


                                                      Necessity, the mother of invention


                                                                        Trough water



                                                                 Yellow-faced whip-snake

 


 


2 comments:

  1. Well-done Tom! It really sounds like an amazing journey. You've got guts to do what you've done.. Or you're bloody crazy! However, you have my complete respect. I look forward to your next entry.
    I saw an Australian film recently called 'Wolf Creek', which was based on a true story, around the North West side of Australia. (North of Kalbarri) It scared the shit out of me, and I thought of you on your own in the bush. If you have not seen it yet then I do not advise you watch it until you get home.
    All the very best mate.
    PS did you have enough money for a new pair of trainers, or did you use the rest of the duct tape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dean!
    Hahaha yes I have seen Wolf Creek! Bloody freaky film! I think it haunts my mum's dreams, she is sure I will run into a nutter like Ivan Milat any day now.
    My amazing dad may have helped me out in buying a new robust pair of riding shoes. It feels great to have shoes that don't allow sand and water in when I walk around.
    Hope your well, and thanks for reading.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete