Friday 6 April 2012

Nundroo RH- Nullarbor RH, 145km's

Up until Nundroo the road had been surprisingly hilly, with almost no flat sections at all. I had envisaged the experience to be completely flat with zero trees as far as the eye could see, but this was not the case. From Ceduna until just past Nundroo I was surround by tall Eucalypts and the road was winding slowly towards the west. But eventually the trees gave way to scrub, and the hills gave way to much-appreciated flats. The road straightened out and I found myself peddling through the open country that I had expected. It was not boring country. It was not ugly or bare country. It is in fact beautiful country... there is just so much of it. I watched from my saddle as wild dogs/dingo's ran around in the bushes, wedge-tail eagles sat around in trees nearby, emu's tried running me off the road, birds of every colour dazzled me as they flew past and snakes and lizards raced for cover as I drew near. The fauna was incredible.
The day was hot and pleasant, but as I neared the 80km mark, dark clouds rolled in dramatically and I was soon taking shelter under my rain-coat. I rode for about 4 hours in the pouring rain until at last it eased enough for me to emerge from my riding shell and curse the raw wounds that had resulted from my wet bike shorts rubbing on my inner thighs. They were very tender and bloody sore.
Somewhere between the Nundroo and Nullarbor road-house, is located the Yalata Road-house, which was closed for renovations. Luckily in my research I had stumbled upon this information, and was carrying sufficient supplies to pass through. A couple even pulled over and gave me a bag of delicious apples along the way.
When I finally arrived at the Nullarbor road-house it was getting late, so I payed the ridiculous fee of $20 for an unpowered site (my worried mother was insistent that I stay somewhere safe), and set up my tent on coarse gravel unprotected from the unrelenting wind. The Nullarbor was the windiest place I had ever visited. It was also the most expensive, and the camp-site was terrible.
In the morning I payed a further $35 on bottled-water, and ordered the breakfast on 'special': a bacon and egg toasted sandwich for the bargain price of $9. Ouch.
But I needed the fuel to peddle the next 187km's to border village with nothing in-between.
It was going to be tough.




Top: Catastrophic chance of fire? OH NO!!!
Wedge Tail Eagles
Emu's always running across the road
Spot the tiny lizard

No comments:

Post a Comment