Sunday 10 February 2013

The Home Stretch

There I was, standing in front of the towering 'Welcome to Victoria' sign. I took some time to soak up the pleasure of this monumental moment. Victoria at long last. I knew where I was in the world again. I knew the plants, the animals, the towns and the people. The enormity of Australia seemed to be placed into perspective for me at last.
When I sat back on the bike seat I thought about where I had been and what was waiting for me at home. It all felt surreal and exciting. As I plodded along over the next few days I couldn't help myself from ticking boxes off in my head: 'this is the last time I will...' eg, change a tube (hopefully), drink from a river, buy a gas bottle, erect my tent etc. It was all drawing to an end very quickly. In fact, I spent a total of 6 days riding from the Victorian border to Melbourne. I was powering along like never before.
After camping near the border on my first day in Vic, I peddled a few km's past Orbost to find a great camp spot in the bush. The scenery on these first two days through East Gippsland was fantastic. It was Spring and the wildflowers were in full bloom, bringing with them chirping birds of every colour and buzzing clouds of insects. I saw countless goanna's (Lace Monitors), prickly echidna's, stunning King Parrots and stocky wombats. It was a fauna and flora display under the clear blue skies.
As I followed the coast line west I found myself camping at the waters edge in the beautiful little town of Port Albert. While caravans and camper vans were welcome to stay in this small free area, camping was prohibited, so I organised for the vehicles to be parked around my tent - not visible from the roads. The friendly travelers were only too happy to help out. That evening I was attacked by sand flies for the first time on the entire trip! Bummer! There was however, a gorgeous sunset, and I after jumping off the jetty for a wash I was ready to sit back and enjoy the serenity.
After talking some back roads past Foster, I sprung back onto the map at Inverloch and continued riding to just outside of the tiny town (if you could call it that) of Kilcunda. There I found a priceless camp spot which included some short green grass for my tent overlooking a deserted crashing beach. It was perfect. I took a swim and watched the sunset over the water. The excitement of being so close to home was overwhelming, yet I found peace in sitting on the beach by myself after all this time.
From my beach paradise I rode quite accidentally all the way into Melbourne city. I was planning to find a camp spot early but nothing jumped out at me so I just kept peddling. The city came into view just on sun-set as I came hurdling down Beach Road. With a slight tail wind I cruised into familiar territory as I made my way to my sisters house. Michaela and Stacey live in a suburb close by, so I made my way to see them.
When I arrived we were all so excited to see each other, but cuddles were not exchanged until I had taken a lengthy shower. My body and clothing were emitting a stench, my beard was growing horribly and my clothing was torn and black with dirt.
I spent two nights at Michaela and Stacey's house, rejuvenating before my last push home - only some 30km's. My sisters place is around the corner of my good friend Dave's workplace, which just so happened to be an Irish pub. So we visited the pub together to catch up and compare beards (as Dave was holding off shaving until I arrived). There was a party on at the pub and it felt so strange to be flooded with friends and family so suddenly.
My 21,000km cycling adventure would be over in less then 24 hours.         


                                                                             Port Albert


                                                                         Port Albert


                                                                   Dave was the hands-down winner


                                                                   Having a great time

No comments:

Post a Comment