Friday 27 July 2012

Exmouth - The People

Nicko -
Never before has anyone introduced themselves to me as 'Nicko'. But Nicko was different. Nicko was the man who refused to grow up.
I first met Nicko at the 'Lighthouse Caravan Park' one evening after I had finished work. He was very tall and lanky, and his hair was mattered and dirty. His skin was bronzed by long hours in the sun and his clothes smelled of... marijuana. During my time in Exmouth town, I found it a little difficult to meet friendly characters, but Nicko held no prejudices. We talked for a while and then parted our separate ways. Nicko's way lead him over to my bike and from high on the hill I watched rather nervously as his hands quickly reached into my front basket. I had nothing of great value in the basket but I could afford to lose nothing. Besides, Nicko and I had just talked and I was surprised to find him rummaging through my possessions. So casually I walked down the steps towards my bike and tent. I didn't want to accuse him of anything - because as I say, he was tall and potentially stoned. When he noticed my presence he stepped in front of the bike as to hide it from my view. "What ya doing there Nicko?" I asked as casually as possible. He smiled at me awkwardly and slowly moved to reveal that he was placing tiny flowers in the shape of birds on my bike. I'm not sure if my explanation of the situation adequately describes the strangeness of this behaviour... But it was very very weird. But that was Nicko, gentle, funny and unique. In later weeks we pd pool at the pub together, cooked up a kangaroo that Nicko had accidentally killed with his 4WD (and secretly kept behind his vehicle at the caravan park), drank tea, and explored Cape Range together. Nicko was 42 years of age.

Roady -
Roady was a Filipino father of 4 working with me at the Station. In all my hours working I never once saw Roady without a smile. His young face was already wrinkled from smiling so often. This contrasted strongly from the facial expressions of all the other workers. I could see that working at a petrol station was sapping the life from everyone (myself included), - that is - everyone bar Roady.
I mention Roady here in this blog as I feel the need to thank him for keeping my sanity stable and alive.
One day I was sitting out the back of the building before a shift with my computer in my lap. I was using the internet as Roady came out. He took one look at my lap-top and asked me to write down the make and model. He needed a new computer and decided that if this was good enough for me, then it was good enough for him. He didn't ask about the cost, the capacity, or any single detail, but the next weekend he drove into Perth to purchase the same one. Perth is many many hours drive from Exmouth. This story seems random and unnecessary, but I think it illustrates Roady's personality perfectly - trusting and hilarious.

Banjo, Cara and Indi -
Banjo and Cara are a young couple from Tasmania travelling up the west coast, accompanied by Cara's sister Indi. I met these three characters at the Yardie Creek Homestead Caravan Park, just outside of Cape Range National Park. I instantly liked the company of these three as they shared a common interest of out-door activities. Over the next few days we explored some stunning landscapes including blood-red rock gorges, fish-filled coral reef and the quiet of the caravan park, where we played cards and ate Spanish Mackerel that was given to us by local fishermen. I thoroughly enjoyed their company and appreciated their friendship.

Lee -
Lee was a 35(ish) year old bogan I met at the pub.
Lee was my billiards partner.
Lee liked me, but I had the feeling that if I said the wrong thing, he was just as likely to stick a pool cue through my eye.
Lee was 'tough'.
Lee smoked in the pub and scared away all the good looking girls.
Lee offered me very illegal drugs (refused).
Lee had tattoos of naked girls on his arms.
Lee came into my work whenever he had a chance to pester me into coming to the pub to play pool.
Lee was a very interesting friend.

Although there were many more people worthy of comment I am nearly ready to start cycling and you are most likely sick of reading these silly stories. My apologies to those who were not mentioned but I cannot go on typing.

4 comments:

  1. Haha good stuff Tommy! Looking forward to hearing about more of the people you've met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the poem, very Bukowskiish. I think the best part of travel is the characters you meet along the way.

    Enjoy the rest of you travels and keep writing

    Freddie (Your dads mate from Margaret River)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get your arse back on that Saddle Tom... It's been more than a month - more like three! And you’re still only up the road from where we met last May in Monkey Mia. Hope to see more photos of the Exmouth area soon, and maybe photos of those colorful characters you've mentioned in this blog.
    I wish you the very best in your quest to conquer the remaining coast of Australia.
    Hope to be reading your blog again soon.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean, it's ok I'm making progress... slowly! It's just difficult to find the time to blog, find the reception and find the battery power. Things have been tough out in the outback! I'm nearly in Darwin now and have a few days off to blog blog blog!!!! Thanks for keeping up with the story!

      Delete